Compulsory third party insurance

Compulsory third party insurance (CTP insurance) is compulsory in Australia. It protects you from financial burden if your vehicle is in a road crash causing injury or death to other drivers, passengers or pedestrians.

Of course, the rules are different for CTP and registration depending on where in Australia you live.

Learn more about CTP insurance in your state or territory.

Top 5 things you need to know about CTP insurance

1 CTP insurance stands for compulsory third party insurance.
2 Your CTP covers people injured or killed when your vehicle is involved in an accident.
3 CTP insurance is compulsory in all states and territories and you cannot register your vehicle without it.
4 Your CTP covers you throughout Australia, wherever your home state or territory.
5 CTP is included with your registration in all states and territories except NSW. In NSW, you must pay it separately before registration.

1. How is NSW different from other states?

Did you know NSW differs from the rest of Australia as you pay CTP insurance separately before registering your vehicle? You choose from six private insurers licensed to offer CTP (or green slips).

2. How do ACT vehicle owners pay for CTP?

ACT vehicle owners pay for Motor Accident Injuries (MAI) insurance as part of the registration fee and have a choice of four MAI providers.

3. How does CTP work in NT?

NT motorists pay for the MAC scheme as part of the registration fee. Because MAC is government owned, you cannot choose an insurer.

4. Does Qld registration include CTP?

Qld registration fee already includes CTP insurance. Even so, vehicle owners can choose from 4 CTP providers each time they register.

5. Can SA vehicle owners choose an insurer?

Since 1 July 2022, you can choose from 5 licensed insurers. SA vehicle owners pay CTP insurance as part of the registration fee.

6. How does CTP work in Tas?

Tas CTP is included in your vehicle registration fee. However, MAIB is the government insurer so you cannot choose a CTP insurer.

7. Who provides CTP in Vic?

Vic government-owned TAC provides CTP. The TAC fee for CTP is included with vehicle registration.

8. Is CTP included in the WAS vehicle licence?

WA government-owned ICWA provides CTP insurance and it is included in your vehicle licence or rego.