Transfer Registration WA

Transfer to WA registration

If you have moved to Western Australia, you must change your interstate vehicle registration to WA within 3 months of becoming a resident. If you forget, your vehicle will be legally unregistered, even if you registered it in another Australian state or territory. Find out how to transfer registration to WA.

In WA, vehicle registration is called a vehicle licence or rego. To transfer to a WA vehicle licence, you may need to book a roadworthiness examination. You must then go in person to a Department of Transport (DoT) Driver and Vehicle Services Centre with other required documents.

Finally, the checklist helps you quickly transfer registration WA.

Certificate of inspection If required
Application to license a vehicle Complete
Proof of identity For example, birth certificate, passport, drivers licence
Proof of residency For example, current lease or tax notice
Proof of vehicle ownership For example, interstate registration certificate or purchase receipt
Payment Vehicle licence, stamp duty, number plates

To transfer registration to WA from another state or territory, you must cancel registration in the other state or territory.

Note, this will cancel CTP insurance in all states except NSW. In NSW, you must cancel registration first and also take proof to the CTP insurer to cancel CTP.

Steps to transfer drivers licence

You are allowed to drive in WA on an interstate drivers licence while you are a visitor. After 3 months of living in WA, you must convert to a WA licence. Simply go in person to a Driver and Vehicle service centre with your:

  1. Interstate or territory drivers licence
  2. Proof of identity, eg, birth certificate, passport, credit card
  3. Proof of residency, eg, contract of sale or lease agreement
  4. Driver licence application.

Finally, you do not have to pay a fee to convert your interstate drivers licence to a WA licence unless it has expired.

What do you want to do?