Transfer Rego NSW

Transfer Registration

If you have moved to NSW and intend to stay longer than 3 months, you must transfer registration of your interstate vehicle to NSW. After 3 months, it is an offence to own a vehicle registered in another state but garaged in NSW. Find out how to transfer rego NSW.

Steps to transfer rego NSW

For the first registration of your vehicle in NSW, you must go in person to a motor registry or Service NSW with the required documents. After that, you can renew registration of that vehicle by phone or online. There are three steps to transfer rego to NSW:

  1. Buy CTP insurance (green slip) – compare prices
  2. Get a safety and identity check of your vehicle (blue slip) from an authorised inspection station
  3. Go in person to a motor registry or Service NSW with documents proving your identity, residential address in NSW and entitlement to register the vehicle.

The first registration must be for 12 months. After that, you can renew registration of the same vehicle for 6 months. Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) receives electronic copies of your blue and green slips, once they are paid for, ready for you to register your vehicle.

You must cancel registration in your previous state or territory. This will also cancel that state or territory’s CTP insurance on your vehicle.

Checklist to transfer rego NSW

CTP insurance (green slip) You must buy this first
Safety and identify check (blue slip) Get this from an authorised inspection station
Application for registration form Complete
Proof of identity For example, birth certificate, passport, credit card, utility bill
Proof of residential address in NSW For example, contract of sale or lease agreement
Proof of entitlement to register For example, interstate certificate of registration or motor dealer sales contract
Previous number plates If possible
Payment for all fees Registration, stamp duty, number plates

Steps to transfer drivers licence

You can drive in NSW on an interstate licence for only 3 months then you must transfer it. Go in person to a Motor Registry or Service NSW with:

  1. Your interstate or territory drivers licence
  2. Proof of identity, eg, birth certificate, passport, credit card
  3. Proof of your residential address, eg, contract of sale or lease agreement
  4. Licence application form.

There is no fee to transfer your drivers licence, unless expired or nearly expired.

What do you want to do?