As in most states and territories, CTP insurance is already included in the registration fee in SA. Since 1 July 2019, vehicle owners choose which insurer they want for their CTP when they renew registration.
You must renew car registration in SA before the expiry date. The CTP policy on your vehicle lapses if you do not renew within 30 days of expiry and there are heavy fines for unregistered and uninsured vehicles.
You can choose a registration period of 1, 3 or 12 months only. Total cost of registration depends on:
- Period of registration (1, 3 or 12 months)
- Class of vehicle – passenger, goods carrying, motorcycles etc
- Whether it is garaged in district postcode rated 1 or 2
- Whether or not you claim an input tax credit (GST).
Remember, pensioners in SA can get half price registration for a motor vehicle and a trailer or caravan and 50% off the drivers licence fee.
You do not need a roadworthy inspection to register most vehicles in SA, except for those with defects, modified or written-off. You may need a roadworthy inspection if you are transferring registration from another state.
Renew registration online using the SA government’s EzyReg system and, if you choose, set up a monthly direct debit. EzyReg also provides a free service so you can confirm whether your car is registered and the expiry date.
Registration: Service SA
Phone: 13 10 84
9am to 5pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri
9.30am to 5pm Wed
Visit: SA service centres
Write: GPO Box 1533, Adelaide SA 5001.
What do you want to do?
- A new tax on electric vehicles in South Australia18/11/2020
- SA insurer ratings improve06/07/2020
- SA motorists save on CTP09/03/2020
- Travel expenses in Adelaide and Mount Gambier13/12/2019
- Digital drivers licences not accepted everywhere in SA30/10/2019