Transfer Registration ACT

Transfer registration to Canberra

If you have recently moved to Canberra from another state or territory, you must transfer registration to ACT within 3 months. If your vehicle remains registered in another state or territory but garaged in the ACT, it is legally unregistered in the ACT. So find out how to transfer registration to the ACT.

To transfer registration, go in person to an Access Canberra office with required documents. For example, roadworthy inspection, evidence (identity, residential address, right to register vehicle) and payment for fees due.

You may need to get a roadworthy or identity inspection for your vehicle before registration. In the ACT, you can book this at an approved inspection station.

This checklist will help you easily transfer registration to the ACT.

Inspection reports Roadworthy, identity or LPG
Proof of identity For example, birth certificate, passport, credit card, Medicare card
Proof of residency in ACT For example, current lease or bank letter
Proof of right to register vehicle For example, interstate registration certificate or purchase receipt
Payment for all fees Registration, stamp duty if payable, number plates

Finally, to transfer registration to the ACT, you must cancel registration in the other state or territory.

Note, this will cancel CTP insurance in all states except NSW. In NSW, you must cancel registration first and take proof of cancellation to the CTP insurer to cancel CTP.

Steps to transfer drivers licence

You can drive in ACT on an interstate drivers licence as a visitor. But after 3 months of living in the ACT, you must transfer to an ACT licence.

Go in person to an Access Canberra location with your:

  1. Interstate or territory drivers licence
  2. Proof of identity, eg, birth certificate, passport, credit card
  3. Proof of residency, eg, contract of sale or lease agreement
  4. Driver licence application.

There is no fee to transfer your drivers licence, unless it has expired or almost expired.

What do you want to do?