CTP Insurance WA

WA CTP Insurance

In Western Australia, the WA government provides compulsory third party (CTP) insurance. The Motor Injury Insurance Scheme (MIIS) in WA is a fault-based scheme. If it was not your fault, CTP insurance WA covers your claim for injuries caused to someone else in a road accident. If it was your fault, it does not cover your injuries unless they are catastrophic.

Since July 2016, the Catastrophic Injuries Support Scheme has covered people catastrophically injured in a road crash in WA. This increased the cost of a vehicle licence in WA.

Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) is the government insurer. In this role, it has to  review and set WA CTP insurance premiums each year. It also keeps a close watch on how effectively it manages CTP claims.

Two licences

If you are a vehicle owner in WA, the law requires you to have two licences – a driver licence and a vehicle licence. Note, a vehicle licence is called vehicle registration in other states and territories in Australia but may be called rego in WA.

The cost of CTP insurance WA is already included in your vehicle licence or registration fee. For more detail, you can find the MII policy printed on the back of your motor vehicle registration.

As the government provides CTP insurance, you cannot choose a CTP insurer in WA. However, you can contact the ICWA for CTP claims or with any questions about the CTP WA scheme.


CTP Insurer: Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA)

Phone: 08 9264 3333 or 1800 643 338 Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm

Email: nowcovered@icwa.wa.gov.au

Visit: Level 13, Forrest Centre, 221 St Georges Terrace, Perth

What do you want to do?