CTP Insurance SA

SA CTP Insurance

The South Australian compulsory third party (CTP) scheme is a common law fault-based scheme. This means you can claim benefits under the CTP insurance SA scheme if you are injured in a road crash and can prove another driver was at fault. Meanwhile, drivers who are 25% at fault may have to pay an excess.

The Lifetime Support Scheme (LSS) is for people who suffer serious lifelong disabilities in car accidents. The Lifetime Support Authority (LSA) runs the scheme and funds it with an LSS levy on registration.

Vehicle owners in SA pay their CTP insurance as part of the registration fee.

Until July 2016, the SA government provided CTP. The government has now licensed 4 private insurers to offer CTP insurance SA:

  • AAMI
  • Allianz
  • QBE
  • SGIC

If you are a vehicle owner in SA, the scheme allocates one provider for 3 years as part of your vehicle registration. After July 2019, you will be able to choose a different CTP insurer and new insurers may also enter the market.

The government heavily regulates CTP insurance because private insurers, rather than the SA government, now provide this compulsory public scheme.

The CTP Insurance Regulator took over from the Motor Accidents Commission (MAC) in July 2016. The regulator will:

  • set all premiums applying from 1 July 2016
  • monitor and report on CTP insurer activities
  • ensure injured people get proper benefits.

Finally, please contact the regulator with any concerns or questions about SA CTP insurance.


CTP Insurance Regulator: ctp.sa.gov.au

Phone: 1300 303 558 (9am to 5pm, Mon-Fri)

Email: ctp@sa.gov.au

Visit: Level 8, Wakefield House, 30 Wakefield Street, Adelaide SA 5000

What do you want to do?