Transfer Rego Qld

How to transfer registration in Qld

If you have just moved to Queensland and intend to stay longer than 14 days, you must transfer registration of your vehicle to Qld. Vehicles remaining registered in another state or territory but garaged in Qld after 14 days are considered unregistered in Qld and you can be fined. This shows you how to transfer rego to Qld.

Owners of light vehicles can register for 1, 6 or 12 months. The 1-month option is available by direct debit only.  Owners of heavy vehicles have a 3-month option.

There are three steps to transfer rego to Qld:

  1. Make sure you are covered by current CTP insurance to drive to get the vehicle registered – this can be your current interstate CTP
  2. Take your vehicle to an authorised inspection station (AIS) for a safety check
  3. Go in person to a Transport and Main Roads customer service centre with required documents.

You must go in person for the first registration only in Qld. After that, you can renew registration online or by phone.

Once you have transferred registration to Qld, you must cancel registration in your previous state or territory. You can then apply for a refund of any remaining period from the state of the cancelled registration.

If you are moving from NSW, you are also entitled to a separate refund of the CTP insurance. You must cancel NSW registration first and then show proof to the NSW CTP insurer to get any CTP refund due.

Use the checklist to easily transfer rego to Qld.

Safety certificate From an approved inspection station (AIS)
Vehicle registration application Complete
New customer application Complete
Proof of identity For example, birth certificate, passport, credit card, Medicare card
Proof of garaging address in Qld For example, rate notice or phone bill
Interstate number plates Hand these in
Payment All registration fees

Steps to transfer drivers licence

You can drive in Qld on an interstate drivers licence for only 3 months then you must transfer to a Qld licence. Go in person to a Transport and Main Roads customer service centre with your:

  1. Interstate or territory drivers licence
  2. Proof of identity, eg, birth certificate, passport, credit card
  3. Proof of your residential address, eg, contract of sale or lease agreement
  4. Driver licence application.

There is no fee to transfer your drivers licence, unless it has expired or almost expired.

What do you want to do?