Transfer Registration SA

Transfer registration to South Australia

If you have just moved to South Australia, you must transfer registration to SA within 90 days of taking up residency. If not, your vehicle is legally unregistered, even if it is registered in another state or territory.

To transfer registration to SA, vehicle owners must visit a Service SA office in person with required documents. These include, for example, your current interstate registration certificate or roadworthy inspection, proof of identity and your residential address.

If you cannot show an interstate registration certificate, your vehicle needs a roadworthy inspection to confirm its correct identity.

Finally, the checklist will help you transfer registration SA.

Application for registration and third party insurance Complete
Proof of identity For example, birth certificate, passport, credit card, Medicare card
Proof of residency in SA For example, tax notice or bank letter
Proof of identity of vehicle For example, interstate registration certificate or SA roadworthy inspection
Payment for all fees Registration, stamp duty if payable, number plates

If you want to transfer your rego to SA, you must cancel registration in your previous state or territory.

Note, this will automatically cancel CTP insurance in all states except NSW. In NSW, you must cancel registration first and then take proof to the insurer to cancel CTP insurance.

Steps to transfer drivers licence

You are permitted to drive in SA on an interstate drivers licence as a visitor for 90 days. After that, you must transfer to an SA licence. Go in person to a Service SA customer service centre with your:

  1. Interstate or territory drivers licence
  2. Evidence of identity and residence, eg, birth certificate, passport, lease agreement
  3. Concession card, if required
  4. Completed application form.

Finally, there is no fee to transfer your drivers licence unless it has expired.

What do you want to do?

1. How do I change my rego from NSW to SA?

You change your rego from NSW to SA in the same way as from other states or territories in Australia. Visit a Service SA office with the documents required in the checklist of documents, above. However, the way to cancel rego in NSW is different. You need to first cancel NSW rego and then show proof to your insurer to cancel CTP insurance.

2. Do you need a roadworthy to transfer rego in SA?

You do not usually need a roadworthy inspection to transfer rego to SA if you have an interstate registration certificate. If you do not have a registration certificate, then your vehicle will need a roadworthy inspection to confirm its identify. However, you need to organise a roadworthy inspection for some less common vehicles listed here.

3. Can I drive in Adelaide with NSW licence?

You can drive in Adelaide with a NSW licence as long as you have not been living in South Australia for more than 90 days. Then you must transfer to an SA licence. Visit a Service SA office with your NSW drivers licence, evidence of identity, completed application form and any concession card. The full fee at May 2024 is $71.